Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Worm Compost: An Experiment

A Step-by-Step Experiment with Worm Composting
November 7th, 2012


My Worm Stock:
So from what I've read, Red Wigglers are the ideal composting worms. I've spent little effort to get them, instead I discovered a pile of decaying leaves where the worm population was thriving. I was able to harvest about 25-40 worms total. Here are a couple to see. I am keeping all of them in the original dirt/ leaf mix to lessen the shock of being transferred.


My Supplies:
A broken plastic trash can, worms and original compost, a small pile of dry leaves, and 1 paper shopping bag cut into 1 inch strips. 


Soaking the paper shopping bag at the bottom for about one minute. 


Letting the excess water drain out so the worms don't drown!


Adding the worms and original compost


Adding some household scraps; Two cups total of half coffee grounds and half Soy Bean shells.


And some dry leaves on top to keep everything dark and moist. (plus some extra food?)


Letting it sit in a cool, darker place. I'll check back in a month or so and see how my worms are. I hope they like their new home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment