Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Transplanting Iris Bulbs

Transplanting Iris Bulbs
November 6th, A warm fall day at 75 F


Iris Bulbs: 
These Iris are suitable for extreme hot and dry climate; they live here with cement on both sides exceeding daytime temp. of 115 degrees Fahrenheit some parts of the year. They each make one beautiful flower each spring, which should be trimmed back yearly. 


In a patch of Iris, most plants are connected to the same horizontally growing root bulb about 2 inches underground. Here, I've pick-axed out a directly connected plant and root mass- trying to save as much root as possible.


I tap down a pampered soil mix around the roots. Mine is made from 1/3 quality potting soil (I'm using Fox Farm's Happy Frog), 1/3 coco fiber (wonderful help for initial root formation), 1/3 native soil (clay-like, but with some organic matter).


Making sure to have appropriate drainage I try to water for a 50% runoff the first time around.


Just my first round from thinning out my Iris patch. My first 16 plants here.


I finished the next day with 32 total bulbs being transplanted.


And a thinned, healthier Iris patch with a bit of fun, creative rock work.

No comments:

Post a Comment